We are an independent news and podcast company producing the best audio journalism in the country. Through a mix of listener support and advertising, we provide 100,000 listeners a week with free, high-quality content focused on media, news, current affairs, politics, and more. We are looking for an experienced audio journalist to join the team of our flagship Monday podcast, CANADALAND. Each Monday brings a report, an interview, or a documentary on one key story that our listeners need to know about, need to know moreabout, or need to hear about in a whole new way. We are looking for a creative, technically adept, and news-literate audio journalist to work with our host, our managing editor, another senior producer, our chase producer, and a growing network of contributors on increasingly ambitious episodes of CANADALAND.
What you’ll do:
You’ll work closely with CANADALAND’s team as you pitch show ideas and assess pitches, and take a lead role in developing and producing individual episodes. You will research topics, choose guests, and write questions for our host. You will produce and cut interviews. Sometimes you will gather tape, or work with freelancers to do so. You will work with our host, production team, and freelancers to draft scripts, incorporate music and sound design, and deliver packaged, broadcast-ready podcasts, on deadline, always. You will make audio documentaries, sometimes in collaboration with outside contributors who may rely on you for audio-production skills. You will have the support of people both senior and junior to you, but as a member of a dynamic, collaborative team, you will at various times be called on to do all things, from fact-checking and metadata entry to conducting interviews yourself on topics you choose.
What you’ll bring:
- High-level audio editing skills. You must be both quick and smart in how you cut.
- A sophisticated sense of story structure. You should have extensive experience figuring out both how to tell a story and how to fix a story that isn’t working.
- Experience with newsgathering and carrying out original reporting projects.
- Familiarity with Canadian news and politics and with Canadaland Media.
- Collaboration skills and the ability to both take direction and to delegate.
- Experience with vetting show pitches and guiding a story development process.
- A good ear for great podcasts/radio, as demonstrated by your portfolio of finished work.
- Willingness and ability to train and mentor less experienced producers.
- Patience for the rigours of a newsroom, in which stories are killed, standards are upheld, and deadlines are met.
- Excellent news judgment and high journalistic standards.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to shifting news and production plans on short notice.
- A passion for audio journalism, curiosity about new storytelling formats, and a drive to build something great together.
- Desire to work in a respectful, creative, and fun environment with other smart, decent people who value such things.
The Senior Producer, CANADALAND, reports to the Managing Editor of Podcasts.
This is a full-time position based in Toronto, ON. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
Please send a CV and short cover letter as a single pdf attachment. Describe your interest in the position and include two pitches for episodes, including your proposed guests and format (feature interview, doc, etc.)
Include links to examples of your audio work and describe your role in producing it.
About working at Canadaland Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with benefits — including a health fund, a training budget, flexible hours, and paid vacation. We are a growing company where compensation has increased every year over the past four years.
Canadaland Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds. BIPOC and LGBTQ+ people are encouraged to apply.
If you think you are right for this position, please apply, and let us know if you have relevant experience that we haven’t considered or which might be commensurate with other skills or experience described above.
Application deadline: 2020-06-22
Job Type: Permanent
- Casual Dress
- Dental Care
- Flexible Schedule
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Care
- Work From Home
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.
Always use caution and do your due diligence before sharing private information. While we do check every job, we are not affiliated with the recruiters.
If this posting seems off, please report it to us!